Victoria Day Gown Hack

 

Pattern: Victoria Blazer by By Hand London

Alterations: Day Gown Hack

DSC_2258

Ok, some things I want you to know to begin with.

  1. I have BIG LOVE for the Victoria Blazer pattern by BHL. I have made several and it was 100% the catalyst to my trying new and interesting fabrics, patterns and challenges outside my sewing comfort zone.
  2. I was not convinced when I saw the day gown hack, it’s not anything like anything I would normally wear.
  3. I saw some embroidered fabric on eBay and a dream was born.

I actually had to whatsapp my sewing friends to get them to stop me from making such an outlandish purchase but they loved the idea too and said I had to make it.  So I did. I LOVE IT.  The By Hand London team know what they’re doing #believer

The fabric finally arrived on Wednesday and I was beyond excited. As soon as I got home and before I went to Say it Ain’t Sew at Brewdog, I feverishly cut my pieces out and had sewn the darts, shoulders and side seams within an hour and a half. I was Delighted. Capital D. The hack is really simple to follow as well so I was able to use my precut traced pattern.  The only issue I had was with the actual fabric; it came in 3 cuts all of 1yd not continuous length, the embroidery also runs counter to your  *ahem* ‘traditional’ grainline… oh well.  This meant I’ve had to keep the original collar rather than one long cut as suggested in the hack because I did not have the continuous length of fabric for this. I actually don’t mind and think it really works with the style.  We’ll not discuss that grainline situation, it seems to have worked out OK.

DSC_2279
French Seam on my set in sleeve

I wasn’t able to do any more work on it until Friday, by this time I had already decided I was going to unpick what I had already sewn and redo with french seams to keep the finishings looking good. I’m not saying they’re perfect, my set in sleeves could have been done a bit better but I definitely like the way french seams look here as opposed to regular seams.

DSC_2278
Collar before finishing the seam and pressing collar to front

For the attaching my collar to the body, I sewed wrong side to wrong side as I was trying to keep my raw edges out of sight and didn’t want them visible on the inside of the garment.  I trimmed my seam allowance to little more than 5mm and zig zagged along the edge, then flipped the collar over to the right side.  I’ve pressed it down as best I could, (you can’t use much heat on this fabric) and as a final touch I’ve hand stitched along the outer edge of the collar to keep it against the shell to stop it from lifting and showing the raw edge where I attached the collar. It is now finished and I’m sitting staring out the window waiting for the sun!  I’m in London for 3 weeks in July, I’m expecting every day to be a sunny day gown kind of day.

 

You need the day gown in your life. You especially need the embroidered day gown in your life.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s